Wednesday 23 March 2011

That Time I Had a Cover Teacher...

Today, I had an external supply teacher for my afternoon free lesson. In the lesson, he began to ask us what we were doing for sixth form next year, and whether we were staying at Bishop Challoner. When it came to my turn, I explained to him I was moving to Bishop Walsh Catholic School and would be studying Philosophy and Ethics, Government and Politics, English Literature and Psychology. After this start to the conversation, he was surprised I knew so definitely what I'd be doing, so he asked me if I had any plans for after sixth form. Of course, I was keen to explain I wished to do a Theology degree at Birmingham University and, after this, would work towards becoming an RE teacher. The complete and utter shock on the teacher's face was something I've never seen before. Immediately, he said "you want to be an RE teacher?" to which I said yes, I did.

I was a little surprised by his reaction, so I asked him why it was he was so shocked. His response:
"Well, you don't get many kids saying they want to be an RE teacher, do you?" 

So, I began to explain to him how much I cared about RE, its future in Britain and also some of the existing work I'd done in support of RE in my school. At this point, my RE teacher came into the classroom to give me a letter - I had no idea what it was - that turned out to be from an RE advisor for Birmingham City Council. "What a coincidence" were my first words while reading it, so I explained the prior conversation to him. Even after the letter was delivered to me, he still couldn't quite believe I wanted to be an RE teacher. At this point, I felt it only necessary to show him my "I <3 RE" and "Future RE Teacher" badges that are located in hidden locations on my school blazer (wouldn't want them confiscated now, would I?) He still seemed confused as to why I, a 16 year old year 11 student with the my life and whole world ahead of me, would embark on the choice of pursuing a career as an RE teacher. Well, I suppose it's time to explain why.

Never in my 11 and a half years of schooling have I found a subject so captivating; so wide in its content to interest and motivate myself. As long as humans have existed, so has the desire to know and understand the meaning and purpose of life. RE provides the variety of opinions on issues like the meaning of life and God's existence so as we can make informed choices on the thing that most motivates people in their lives. If RE were a poem, it would be Shakespeare's finest works; a painting, the broadest and most mysterious horizon; a personality, the deepest most meaningful being.

No other subject studies so intensely why humans desire to do good and to be a better person tomorrow than they are today. There's no other subject that explains to people the meaning and joy people will find in their faith. Not one other subject that will study the human condition so vigorously that we discover just why people believe they find something greater than themselves.

Which subject will explain to me how to change the world in the best way I can? Well, RE is how I'm going to do that.

I've been waiting to qualify as an RE teacher since I was 13. Now, three years later, it seems an eternity has passed yet I'm still not that much closer to getting there. In seven years time, I'll be leaving university a qualified RE teacher, and, from that day forward, it's my turn to begin to change the world in a positive way.

RE will change society; RE will change the world.

1 comment:

  1. Clare, you're already changing the world by engaging so enthusiastically in the promotion of RE! I'm sure lots of other people like me have been inspired by reading your blog and seeing your films.

    ReplyDelete