Friday 4 March 2011

My RE

Firstly, I think an introduction - even if brief - is necessary. I'm Clare Dempsey, I'm 16 years old, in year 11 studying my GCSEs and go to school in Birmingham. From the age of 13, I was determined I was going to be an RE teacher; now, three years later, that's still what I know I'm going to do with my life. When I was in year 9, and had started to study an early entry GCSE RE course for Edexcel, I began to make some RE videos on a YouTube account called "06clared". Little did I know at the time about the recognition these videos would receive in the RE teaching world. This isn't the purpose of this blog, but I think it's an essential part of my introducing myself. As I grew to become even more in love with the real RE, I started to get more involved in E Learning resources for RE, and also visited another school's RE department for a week's work experience. I think that, for someone of my age, I've been extremely lucky to have the experience of RE that I've had. Currently, I'm studying History, Geography, Media, RE and Extended ICT for my GCSEs, and, for my A Levels, I will be studying Philosophy and Ethics, Government and Politics, English Literature and Psychology.

Now that the introduction has been made, I can move on with explaining what this blog is all about! Lately, RE has been given a negative portrayal. Personally, I think that some students, parents and other subject teachers think that RE is a 'soft' subject that's not worth school pupils' time, and I'd like to prove these people wrong. In order to do this, I'm going to blog about my own personal experiences of RE; prove that RE isn't the 'useless' subject that some people seem to think it is. I'd also quite like to demonstrate just how obvious a humanities subject RE is, but let us not get into the English Baccalaureate just yet...

I know what you may be thinking. What is a 16 year old blogger going to tell anyone about RE? Well, I must admit, I'm almost of the same opinion myself. However, it's not so much that I think I'll change the world - I won't - but I just want to let people see 'my RE'. I want people to know the amazing experience of RE I have, in the hopes that at least just one person who previously thought negatively of RE will be willing to give it the chance. What's more, I know I'm not the only person with such an amazing experience of RE. Through sharing my own experiences, maybe others will feel like they'd like to do the same. If they do, that's fantastic. If they don't, I hope my opinions and views will suffice to do some justice to RE.

Throughout March, I hope to be blogging about things to do with Celebrating RE Month. On 31st March, I'll be attending a Celebrating RE event, but obviously I don't want to wait til then to start my celebrations, so I've been creating videos each day of Celebrating RE Month. Alongside these, I hope the blog will act as a resource to celebrate RE - after all, such a fantastic subject deserves some recognition!

Thanks for reading, and I'll be blogging soon!

3 comments:

  1. This is great, Clare! Really enjoyed reading about your thoughts on RE because I've loved your videos for Celebrating RE month so far. I hope they get seen by lots of people who aren't yet convinced about the subject - I'm sure they soon will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this comment gets through ... I think I had an OpenID once!

    I just wanted to add, as an RE teacher, what an inspiration you have been over the past couple of years that I have "known" you through your YouTube videos! In response to your rhetorical question about what can a 16 year old blogger tell the world about RE - everything! You, and your peers, are the point of our teaching, and it is fantastic that you are so enthusiastic and willing to share your experiences - and your resources - with us and with others.

    I hope you get the opportunity at some point to meet Mr Gove and explain your views about the EBacc to him - what a wonderful way to celebrate RE this month that would be!

    Happy Celebrating RE Month - today and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clare - all the best with this - and all the best with the cunning plan to become and RE teacher and keep developing the use of ICT - another subject under attack from the Gove. Paul H.

    ReplyDelete